Book Review - Bossypants by Tina Fey


Originally I was going to post something called "Music I Don't Regret Not Paying For," but then I realized a) That title ends in a preposition, and b) I've reviewed a lot of music lately and need to shake it up. So in the effort of looking more cultured and well-read, I've decided to review the last book I finished - Bossypants by Tina Fey.

I don't normally go for memoires by celebrities. I have Tony Dungy's and President Obama's, though I haven't read them. I probably will someday, but basically... enh. Similarly, the thought of reading anything "written" by Snooki or Tim Tebow fills my throat with bile. 

[Break for rant about Tim Tebow: Look. He's a good football player. I don't know that he's a great football player. I respect the fact that he is committed to Christ and pursuing holiness in a career where that is incredibly difficult. But. I hold by my belief that NO ONE would care he's a virgin if he was an uggo. People only care because the thought of a hot guy not gettin' any is seizure-inducing to our society. Also I think it was kind of tacky to do an anti-abortion commercial during the Super Bowl. I mean, I get using your influence for something you believe in, but why should anyone care what a college quarterback (or Justin Bieber) thinks about abortion??? Also, I think he's really over-hyped and that anyone obsessed with him is secretly in love with him.]

ANYWAY. Tina Fey is amazing. I never loved Weekend Update more than when she was hosting, although Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers are about as good. Mom Jeans is probably my favorite SNL commercial ever. I love Date Night (and even enjoyed Baby Mama). Oh yeah, and SHE WROTE MEAN GIRLS. One of my favorite movies of all time, I've probably seen it more than any other except the Fifth Element. 

That being said, I don't go for 30 Rock. Tracy Morgan bugs me. That blonde chick really bugs me. And Alec Baldwin is one of the celebrities I loathe the absolute most. So even T-Feezy isn't enough for me.

By this point you're probably saying "OK WHAT ABOUT THE BOOOOOOOOKKKKKK?" Well, it was wonderful. It was hilarious. It was personal. It wasn't really sentimental. It didn't take itself too seriously. Which was a welcome change from other memoires. 

Basically, the reader is taken on a journey through Tina Fey's life - her early childhood and family, her formative high school years in community theatre, college and improv school, work at SNL and 30 Rock, and motherhood/wifehood. Throughout the book, I got a sense that she is truly humble, modest, and self-deprecating. There was a bit of a "Who am I to be writing a memoire?" mentality that shined through. I think this really helped to make Tina Fey seem more "normal" and relatable. She's not some fancy celebrity, she's an awkward teenage girl that somehow is a grown-up in Hollywood/New York. She takes road trips to see her in-laws and is frequently covered in various bodily fluids from being a mom. 

In addition to the autobiography, there's certainly a feminist theme throughout the book. What I appreciate about this was that it wasn't shoved roughly down my throat, but really simply presented. Most the time it was things like "Would you ask a man how he deals with juggling being a boss and a father?" or "Men don't have a monopoly on comedy." It was really interesting.

But overall this book is FUN. It's easy-to-read, it's funny, it's unpretentious. I read in like two afternoons. One of those at work. It's just really great for sitting down and reading something light. It was an excellent break from the "How much more can I eff up my characters" awesomeness that is A Song of Ice and Fire. 

So basically, read it. Perfect for lazy Sunday afternoons or right before bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment