Music To Be Thankful For This November


It’s November y’all!  When did that happen???  Not that I’m complaining.  I loveNovember.  The weather starts changing.  School starts winding down.  AndTHANKSGIVING!!! If you don’t know me personally, I’ll let you in on a secret.  I HATE CHRISTMAS.  It’s a pretty long story, but you can summarize it as follows: my (now deceased) grandma was obsessed with Christmas.  No really.  Christmas figurines EVERYWHERE.  All year long.  All December (and some of November), there was a Christmas tree that was too big for her house.  Those creepy animatronic Santas and reindeer and elves all over the living room.  Tinsel covering every surface.  Inflatables and light up manger scenes in the yard.  The woman was actually buried with a Santa doll for crying out loud (seriously).  Worse, she would ask my parents what to get us for Christmas, and then buy the things they told her not to get us – for either personal reasons (like not wanting us to get spoiled or stupid from too many video games) or financial reasons (like Nana and Poppy not being exactly “wealthy”).  Oh yeah, and on top of it all there were the inevitable meltdowns by relatives about how my brothers and I were the “favorites,” while the cousins got the shaft.  Or maybe it’s just that they’re demon spawn and we actually behave.  WHATEVER.  So anyway Christmas carries a friggin’ freight train’s worth of baggage – from bad memories to guilt to shame over the state of Christianity and American society.
Thanksgiving on the other hand is wonderful.  You still see family, but not long enough to cause real problems.  There’s even more amazing food than at Christmas – including my mother’s amazing Thanksgiving Turkey Gumbo!  There’s the Macy’s Parade!  And Black Friday shopping!  And Rivalry Week!  Glorious football!  UGH I LOVE IT SO.
So in honor of my favorite holiday, here’s some music to love.
5.  Feist.
We all know and love her from the Apple commercials, it’s true.  I still watch 1234when I’m sad.  It’s like a shorter, less choreographed Sing act.  But lately I’ve been really digging I Feel it All and My Moon My Man.  Also Mushaboom is a lot of fun.  I realize that Feist isn’t exactly the “cutting edge” of music, but I never promised only indie stuff.  So suck it up!
4.  She and Him.
What is not to love about Zooey Deschanel?  I mean really.  She’s married to the lead singer of Death Cab.  Her sister is the lead actress on Bones.  She’s in Elf, and (500) Days of Summer.  She’s beautiful, and she sings really retro-ly.  I dig it.  I dig it a lot.  I suggest watching this and this to get started on this excellent duo.
3.  Hybrid.
I literally just found out about them this morning!  I was in the shower and this came on my Pandora.  I actually got out of the shower to find out what it was.  I find it both exciting and soothing at the same time.
2.  Black Eyed Peas.
I am an unabashed fan of BEP.  OK, maybe I’m a little abashed.  But I like them regardless, and they have a new single out!  I really dig it.  Not just because it contains 80s music, but also because it seems to indicate that the Peas are moving more and more away from the rap angle and more to the electronic side of music, which I definitely enjoy.  So listen to this if you haven’t heard it on the radio yet.
1.  Sufjan Stevens.
Like I could pick one song to put on here.  Please.  I don’t think I could even pick an album to recommend.  So, if going out and buying all of them doesn’t really work for you, might I suggest creating a Sufjan Pandora station?  I seriously doubt you’ll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment