The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, pt. 4

OK, so I know I promised a lot of content for today, but things came up, and I've only seen two shows. So... this is why we can't have nice things. So let's just get started.

Person of Interest
J.J. Abrams + Jonathan Nolan teaming up to make a show that stars Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson? Consider me sold before the show even starts.

Hold up. Flag on the play.

This show was HELLZ BORING. Just like every show on CBS, everything was colored blue. There were generic villains. Generic dialogue. Forced 9/11 references. Plot lines from The Dark Knight. Bo.Ring. Throw in that Jim Caviezel delivered half his lines like he was reading cue cards and I was downright displeased. Not even Michael Emerson could save it. There was not enough backstory. No one seemed to have a personality! The twists were underwhelming, because I didn't care about anyone. But basically it was just boring, minus Jim kicking all sorts of ass.

Final Verdict: Maybe this is just premiere season ennui. Maybe it's having expectations that were far too high. Maybe this is my adolescent rebellion against the producer I trust more than any other (J.J.). I don't know. But I legitimately don't want to see another episode. I probably will, because come on, it's J.J. But I will have to force myself to come back, and I may only give it three episodes.

Community
Oh Greendale, how I have missed you. You truly are my favorite show, and it was a long summer apart. Let's be friends again this year. OK, sweet.

To be honest, this was one of the weaker episodes of Community in some time. I loved the opening. It pretty much says everything you need to know about the show. People may want it to be less crazy, less weird, more grounded, more upbeat, more mainstream, more "normal." And it will respond with a musical dream sequence. Which was fantastic. Jim Rash and Yvette wearing the same dress? Jeff and Dream-Annie saying they would finally sleep together? An aerial ballet Human Being? Perfection. I also loved John Goodman as Vice Dean, being intimidating and also unintentionally dirty. I think he's going to be an excellent villain this season. I also like Chang's new status quo as security guard, or as creator Dan Harmon described it, getting to see "what happens when Gollum gets the Ring." I loved Cougarton Abbey and Inspector Spacetime.

But as someone who relates to Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) a little too much [basically he's a heartless douche who isn't really heartless and is learning not to be a douche], it was really hard for me to see him crazy and kind of evil last night. I mean, I get what the show was going for. Showing us, and him, what it's like on the outside of the group and how much he needs them? That was great. And revealing his fear of becoming Pierce was equally great. I just felt like the group was way too forgiving/accepting of Pierce after everything he did last season, and way too hard on Jeff - even going so far as to say they didn't even want to be friends with him anymore. I felt like it was inconsistent with what we know about them.

Final Verdict: Season premieres have never been Community's strongest suit. I get that, and hopefully so does most of the audience. I'm excited for everything this episode set into motion, and hope to see a season that can compete with last season's TRULY stellar year. Bring it on, junior year.

And that's it for now. I may update this post later if some of my friends have reviews of any other shows from last night, but who knows? In any event, I'll see you tomorrow with reviews of Supernatural and Fringe, two of my favorite shows currently on!

No comments:

Post a Comment